Overview & Work Description
Post Held: PE Teaching Assistant
Responsible to: Head Teacher and PE Teacher
Liaises with: PE Teacher
Contract Length: 15 months
Qualification: NVQ Level 3
Salary: £694 per month
Main purpose of job: To assist with teaching across the full range of the PE curriculum and contribute to the delivery of the school extra-curricular programme. To work under the guidance and instruction of the PE teacher to support the learning activities indoors and outdoors in order to enhance students’ education and well-being.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support for pupils:
1. To assist within PE lesson providing appropriate support and supervision to individuals or groups of students.
2. To encourage pupils to interact with others and engage in physical activities led by the teacher.
3. To coach/lead extra-curricular sporting activities as appropriate.
4. To establish a constructive relationship with the pupils and interact with them according to individual needs.
5. To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students.
6. To set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and independence.
7. To provide the necessary pastoral care to students, including helping those who are unwell, distressed or unsettled.
8. To provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under the guidance of the teacher.
Support for teachers:
9. Assist with the class teacher in the development and planning of a suitable programme of support for pupils.
10. To help in the preparation of organising practical equipment before a PE lesson.
11. Provide detailed and regular feedback about the pupil’s progress to the teacher.
12. Contribute to the maintenance of children’s progress records.
13. Promote good behaviour, dealing promptly with conflicts and incidents in line with established policy and encourage students to take responsibility for their own behaviour.
14. Establish constructive relationships with parents/carers.
15. Administer routine tests and undertake routine marking of student’s work.
16. Support class teachers in photocopying and other tasks in order to support teaching.
Support for the curriculum:
17. Undertake structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to pupil responses;
18. Support the use of ICT in learning activities and develop pupils’ competence and independence in its use;
19. Assist with the preparation and maintenance of equipment/resources required to meet lesson plans/relevant learning activities to support the delivery of an enriched curriculum.
Support for the school:
20. Be aware of and comply with the procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person;
You will be expected to complete the following units:
1. Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
2. Schools as organisations
3. Understand child and young person development
4. Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
5. Support assessment for learning
6. Plan a physical education and school sport programme
7. Deliver a physical education and school sport programme
8. Review the delivery of a physical education and school sport programme
9. Organise and lead a sports event or competition
10. Preparing for the mentoring role
11. Support gifted and talented learners
12. Facilitate community-based sport and physical activity
Entry to the course is dependent on an interview and success at our recruitment event. We like to meet the people applying for our courses before we make any decisions.
Make an application and we'll get in touch to have a meeting and see if you’re the right person for the job.
PE Apprentices can look forward to favourable employment in the following areas:
- PE Teacher
- Personal Trainer
- Outdoor Activity Organiser
- Leisure Centre Assistant