A-Level Chemistry attempts to answer the big question ‘what is the world made of’ and it’s the search for this answer that makes this subject so fascinating.
From investigating how one substance can be changed drastically into another, to researching a new wonder drug to save millions of lives, the opportunities that chemistry provides are endless.
Possible Degree Options
According to bestcourse4me.com, the top five degree courses taken by students who have an A-Level in Chemistry are:
- Pre-clinical medicine
Foundations in Chemistry
Atoms, compounds, molecules and equations / Acid–base and redox reactions / Amount of substance / Electrons, bonding and structure.
Group 2 and the halogens / Qualitative analysis / Enthalpy changes / Reaction rates and equilibrium (qualitative).
Core organic chemistry
Basic concepts / Hydrocarbons / Alcohols and haloalkanes / Organic synthesis / Analytical techniques (IR, MS).
Chemistry, like all sciences, is a practical subject. Throughout the course you will carry out practical activities including:
- Measuring energy changes in chemical reactions
- Tests for identifying different types of compound
- Different methods for measuring rates of reaction
- Studying electrochemical cells
- Preparation of organic solids and liquids
- An advanced form of chromatography for more accurate results
This is now a requirement and forms part of the Practical Endorsement that is a requirement of A-Level chemistry
- Paper 1 Breadth in Chemistry, 1 hr 30 mins, Multiple choice / short answer
- Paper 2 Depth in Chemistry, 1 hr 30 mins, Structured questions and extended response questions
5 GCSEs grade 9-5, including Maths and a grade 6 in Biology/double science.
Studying an A-Level Chemistry related degree at university gives you all sorts of exciting career options, including:
- Analytical chemist
- Chemical engineer
- Clinical biochemist
- Research scientist (physical sciences)
- Chartered certified accountant
- Environmental consultant
- Higher education lecturer
- Patent attorney
- Science writer
- Secondary school teacher